The cable won't be headline news unless it's broken! Safety is paramount when operating cables. A large LNG carrier is berthing to its original position by tightening the front and rear cables. The deck personnel responsible for the front cable stand behind the cable guide through which the cable passes. He signaled to a sailor in front of him. The sailor in that position can pass information to the winch operator who cannot see the deck commander. Under the action of tension, the cable is broken on the inside of the ship's side, and the cable is forced to hit the head of the deck commander, causing a skull fracture.
Why is the cable broken?
First of all, the geographical location of the port berth and meteorological sea conditions are the main reasons for the ship's cable breaking. Port berths affected by strong swells, and port berths damped by strong winds; typhoon season, flood period, large tides, swells, steep rises, steep drops; stern pointing to the upper reaches of the river, short pier length, few piles or no location Good, the waterway at the dock is narrow and there are often large ships passing by. The pier is low and the ship's side is high, and there is no wind and other surrounding environment.
Secondly, large ships are bulky and have a large wind area, which is affected by swells, which makes the tensile friction of the cable more intense; the cable is worn and aged, the cable strength is insufficient, the force is uneven, the tethering equipment is incomplete or the cable is inconsistent. Device failure, etc.
Finally, during the period of stability and berthing, the negligent work of the duty officers and the safety inspection work of the whole ship were not in place, and the mooring lines were not adjusted in time according to the tidal fluctuations and loading and unloading conditions, which led to cable breakage. Adjust the cable force
1. Loading and unloading should avoid excessive tilting of the ship caused by unilateral loading and unloading, resulting in uneven tension of the front and rear tethers or stress caused by the tilting force, increasing the load of the tether.
2. Adjust the tightness of the cable according to the old and new conditions, for example, the new cable should be tightened, and the old cable can be relaxed;
3. Try to use the same material and the same diameter of the cable;
4. Rational use and conversion of automatic cables. The purpose of the ship's automatic cable is to automatically adjust the tightness of the front and rear cables, and always keep the cable properly stressed, so that the ship is close to the berth for convenient operation. However, the automatic cable also has its use limit. When the rated tension is exceeded, the cable cutter starts the automatic protection and stops working. Therefore, due to the impact of swells and frequent strong winds, it is recommended not to use automatic slamming. Instead, manually and tighten the brakes, but remember to disengage the clutch to prevent the cable tension from acting on the clutch. Deformation.
5. Each tether can be twisted tightly, but each cable pile does not need to be excessively fastened when the cable is being cabled. When it is affected by strong wind or rapid current, it should be stretched out and then slipped out, then add several strokes. When you are stressed again, they will not be allowed to slide out again, thus alleviating the unbalanced state of the cable.
The berthing cable should keep the force of each cable as uniform as possible; secondly, a cable can be added before and after the cable, and the cable angle of the cable is determined according to the wind direction of the weather forecast. Try to use movable cables such as rollers and rollers, so that the cables will move along with the moving rollers during the undulating frictional movement of the ship due to swells. Although it is cumbersome to separate the cable.